Law Office of Stephen J. Bedor

Providing Effective Legal Strategies

Can you pay child support in cash?

As someone who pays child support each month, you know when your support payment is due and how much it is. One thing you're not clear on, though, is what methods you can use to pay.

While you usually pay through a payroll deduction, you're changing jobs and haven't set up the new deduction yet. You'd like to pay child support in cash this month, but is that really a good idea?

Can you pay child support in cash in Oregon?

Yes, you can, but not in the way you think. To start with, you won't want to give the cash directly to the other parent. If you do that and don't have a receipt, then there is no way to prove that you made the payment.

There are three other cash options you can use instead. These include paying support directly at the Oregon Department of Justice in Salem, paying cash at TouchPay kiosks around the state or paying at the district attorney's office. Keep in mind that you may need to pay at the local office near you or the office that is assigned to your case.

Why is it a bad idea to pay cash for child support to the other parent?

It depends on your situation, but you won't usually want to pay in cash due to a lack of receipt. Paying through one of the above means provides you with a receipt that the courts can also track, making it easier to prove that you always paid child support and that it was paid on time to the other parent.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Tell Us How We Can Help

Let’s Do This Together

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Office of Stephen J. Bedor

OFFICE LOCATION 4248 Galewood Street Lake Oswego, OR 97035 Toll Free: 877-611-6793 Phone: 503-212-4878 Fax: 503-699-1811 Lake Oswego Law Office Map